New tool to fix print servers in Windows 2008
Tag Archives: msprint
Although we can find some discussions about migration of print services to 64 bit Window servers, there is very little information regarding caveats or things to note when doing such migration.
Recently, I had the opportunity to migrate some of our Windows 2003 32bit print server to Windows 2003 64bit print servers and here is some of my experience that I hope will help some people out there. Read the rest of this entry »
An interesting article from Mark’s blog on some potential printer service issues.
… The file’s description reported it to be the Local Spooler DLL, which explained the Spooler’s inability to support printing operations. After he copied the file from the working system, he was able to print successfully.
As far as the user was concerned, the case was closed and he was able to get back to work, but the administrator was left with the question of what had happened to the original DLL. Another web search turned up forum posts from others that had experienced the same problem. One post in particular described the exact symptoms he’d seen, including the event log entries, suggested the same fix of copying Localspl.dll from another system, and blamed uninstallers of third-party print and fax software for incorrectly deleting Localspl.dll: …
We have a server sitting in the DMZ which have printers defined to print to our campus printers. We have 2 printers, via port 515 and 9100. The firewall rules are setup correctly and I can telnet successfully to both printer’s IP via their respective ports.
One problem though was that both printers keeps appearing offline in the printers folder. I restarted the spooler and both printers became ready, but the moment I tried to print something, even test print, the printers became offline immediately. Read the rest of this entry »
That day, I precreated a set of printers with a script and after that tried to printer drivers to “LaserJet 9040” which I had already installed into the printer server. The change of drivers looks fine, however, when I clicked the properties for the printer, I keep getting error
“Function address 0x4f4f7062 caused a protection fault. (exeption code 0xc00000005) Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed.”
This happens no matter how many times I reinstalled the drivers. I did some google and most of the articles points to the printer not being able to initiate the dialog box and some corrupted registry entry for the driver. But even cleaning up the registry values and reinstalled the drivers, I still had that problem.
Anyway, I found out after 2-3 weeks later, that the traditional way of installing the printer, via Add Printer Wizard and choosing to install the printer driver, works. This is a strange problem because no other HP LaserJet printer drivers even exhibited such behavior before.
Well, at least the old ways still works!
I was running the standard printer enum script in my resouce kit, prnmgr.vbs (via prnadmin.dll) and could not seem to get my W2K printer to list out its printers to me remotely. However, I had no problems when doing this with W2K3. Did a search on the net and found this…
By default, the print spooler on Windows 2000 transfers up to 1 MB of data in an RPC call. The default on Windows Server 2003 is 50 MB. When you have a large number of print queues, the buffer size required in order to transfer the data for the EnumPrinters RPC call can be greater than 1MB.
Add the following registry value under the key:
MaxRpcSize REG_DWORD (desired max size in bytes, set it to 5 or 10 MB)
restart the spooler service (“net stop spooler” and then “net start spooler” from a cmd)