Recently, we had an issue with a Windows 2008R2 server and after it was brought up, it complained that it was not activated. Evidently, the server has lost its licensing information. As in most big companies, we have a volume license and this has been setup on a KMS server in our network.
When I ran “slmgr /dlv” to check the license, I got the error “Product Key not found”
Recently. I got 0x80072EE7 when trying to activate the license on another 2008 server and the same solution applies.
To restore and reactivate the license on this server (in c:\windows\system32):
- Get KMS client licence key from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793406.aspx
- Install the license using “slmgr /ipk xxxx-xxxxx-xx-xx-xx-xx”
- Point to your KMS server (if not already done): “slmgr /skms kms.host.com:1688”
- Activate the volume license with “slmgr /ato”
- Finally, confirm the activation with “slmgr /dlv”